Machine Intelligence and High Performance Computing
The Center of Excellence for Machine Intelligence and High Performance Computing (MI-HPC) has been set up at the Department of Computer Engineering, MIT-COE.
Machine Intelligence signifies the work associated with attempting to make a machine behave like human beings. In other words, it conveys the core concept of pattern recognition and machine learning with the advanced technologies like fuzzy logic, artificial neural networks, genetic algorithms, rough sets. The investigation comprises both the development of these technologies individually and in a hybridization manner, and demonstrating their effectiveness in solving various problems of pattern recognition, image processing, data mining, medical imaging, expert system, computer vision etc. related to the design of intelligent systems.
High Performance Computing refers to combine computing power in a way that delivers much higher performance than one could get out of a typical desktop computer or workstation in order to solve large problems in science, engineering, or business.
The principal aim of MI-HPC is to become an internationally recognized Centre of Excellence for Machine Intelligence and High Performance Computing by sharing our expertise and further improving the quality of our research through increased co-operation and networking with leading institutions world-wide. MIHPC includes two main research groups- Machine Intelligence and High Performance Computing. The faculty working under MIHPC has capacity to implement high quality research projects and industrial projects with efficiency and effectiveness.
The specific objectives of the MI-HPC Center are as follows:
- To develop the Center towards an internationally recognized research body in the following areas based on special interest groups:
- Database, Data Mining
- Machine Learning, Image Processing, Information Security
- Computer Networks, Mobile/Cloud Computing, Wireless Sensor Networks
- To support Institute-industry collaboration (e.g. consultancy and technology/knowledge transfer) with domestic and international companies
- To form Industrial Advisory Group (IAG) to bridge the gap between academics and industry
- To perform joint research projects with other recognized institutes, form network of researchers and exchange visits
- To create research environment by providing opportunities by guiding research students for Masters and PhDs
- To encourage students to perform industry sponsored projects with the guidance from industry mentors and senior faculty members from institute
- To intensify an interdisciplinary approach for the advancement in research- MI-HPC aims at establishing collaboration with leading International Research Centers in Health Informatics, Financial Management, Automobile Industry, Agriculture Sector
- To collaborate with other Center of Excellence at an Institute level
- To develop commercial products through special interest groups and submitting it to MIT-TBI for commercialization
STRENGTH of MI-HPC
MI-HPC’s strengths are:
- Expertise in the field of Computational intelligence/Machine learning, including fuzzy logic, neural networks, algorithm analysis, wireless sensor networks, cloud/mobile computing
- Technically sound with expertise in databases, programming, networking and communication
- Demonstrated the ability to work in team
- Successfully completed projects to help community by solving real world problems
- Good communication skills and interaction with industry partners
MI-HPC researchers have performed applied research projects funded by BCUD and other funding agencies and attracted significant amount of grants.
Some of the prominent funded projects are:
- Intelligent Tutor for Autistic Children
- Intelligent Human Stress Analysis based on kernel Density Estimation over Streaming Data
- Fake Currency Detection
- Automated Classification of Botanical Herbs for Ayurveda
- An Embedded System for Wireless Image Transfer with Payload Variation
- Elastic Resource Scaling and Load Balancer for Online Shopping using Cloud Computing
- Machine Intelligence Research Laboratory, USA
- Centre of Informatics and Applied Optimization, Federation University, Australia
Dr. Siddhivinayak Kulkarni
Associate Professor and Co-ordinator
Center of Excellence-Machine Intelligence and
High Performance Computing
Department of Computer Engineering, MIT-College of Engineering
Pune-411038, Maharashtra State, India